It can be difficult to navigate the aftermath of a serious bicycle accident. To make things worse, there is no shortage of harmful myths about bicycle laws, fault, and compensation. If you believe any of them, you may accidentally hurt your ability to get the money you deserve. Here are a few common beliefs about car-on-bike collisions that are simply not true:
- Bicycles don’t belong on the road: Some drivers fault cyclists for riding in the street. However, bicycles have the legitimate right to share the road with cars. Not only is riding on the sidewalk dangerous, but it’s also against the law in most of Boulder. Don’t let an entitled driver convince you otherwise.
- Medical care is only necessary if I was seriously injured: Many people who get hurt in accidents don’t realize it right away. In some cases, an adrenaline rush blocks the sensation of pain. In other cases, it takes time for injuries to develop. Even if you feel fine, you should always get medical attention to protect your health and legal claim.
- The at-fault driver’s insurance will cover all of my expenses: Insurance companies may work to delay, devalue, or deny your claim. Your compensation may also be restricted by insurance policy limits. Moreover, it’s estimated that approximately 16.2% of Colorado motorists have no insurance coverage whatsoever.
- I can’t get compensation because I wasn’t wearing a helmet: In Colorado, there’s no law that requires adults to wear helmets while cycling. Helmet use shouldn’t make or break your legal claim. However, it may reduce the damages you can collect.
- It’s too expensive to hire an attorney to handle these cases: A serious bicycle accident can be financially devastating. Between medical bills and missed work, you may think that paying for an attorney is out of the question. Fortunately, our firm operates on a contingency fee basis, which means we only collect a fee if you recover compensation in your case.
Schedule a Free Case Evaluation in Boulder
Were you hit by a car on your bike? It’s important to understand your legal rights and options. Our experienced Boulder bicycle accident attorney can help you cut through the misinformation.
Call 303-993-8685 to schedule a free case evaluation. Jeffress Law, PC serves clients from Boulder, Broomfield, Longmont, and the surrounding areas.